SALEM – The case against Ernesto Gonzalez, the Lynn father charged with parental kidnapping and willfully misleading police in the disappearance of his 5-year-old son two years ago, has been continued until next month pending a DNA report from a forensic testing laboratory in Texas.Gonzalez, a 36-year-old meat plant worker, is charged with the disappearance of Giovanni Gonzalez, who was reported missing on Aug. 17, 2008, by his mother, Daisy Colon, after he never returned home from a prearranged weekend visit with his father at his 2 Brightwood Terrace apartment.In Salem Superior Court on Tuesday, Assistant District Attorney Jean M. Curran and defense lawyer Christopher S. Skinner told Judge John T. Lu that all tests had been completed and they were waiting for DNA results from CellMark Diagnostic laboratory in Dallas.Curran explained that the laboratory is working on preparing a report to be turned over to both the state and defense.When asked by Lu if anything else could be done to move the case along, Skinner responded, “unfortunately, no.”Lu continued the case to Sept. 22 for a further DNA status report, as agreed by both the prosecutor and defense.Investigators claim traces of the boy’s blood were found on a knife, on a piece of wood flooring, a cleaning liquid cap and the bathroom threshold in Ernesto Gonzalez’s apartment.Investigators took more than 30 samples from walls and objects inside Gonzalez’s apartment.The case has been lingering primarily because its focus has been scientific testing.Three months after the boy was reported missing Gonzalez made a jailhouse statement claiming he stabbed his son with a kitchen knife because he was misbehaving. He said he then dismembered the boy’s body, placed it in six grocery bags inside a duffel bag and disposed of the body parts in three different Dumpsters around the city. Authorities combed the city but never found any trace of the boy’s remains.Colon, an East Boston resident, believes her son is a kidnap victim and was not murdered. She has been working with The Center for Missing and Exploited Children to find Giovanni since his disappearance. She faithfully appears for every court hearing involving the case.Gonzalez, who appears very stoic in court, never showing any emotion as his case is being discussed, has pleaded innocent to both charges.He faces up to a year in jail if convicted of parental kidnapping and up to 10 years in state prison for lying to law enforcement officers.He remains held without bail at the Middleton Jail pending the outcome of his case.
