SALEM – A former Peabody man who engaged in sexual activity with a teenage relative in Salem and New Hampshire received eight to nine years in state prison, but still faces punishment in New Hampshire.Louis F. Walters, 38, a construction worker, of 4 Smith Park Lane, Durham, N.H., made his plea Thursday afternoon in Salem Superior Court to charges of rape of a child and incest before Judge Howard J. Whitehead.He was caught after he showed co-workers photos of the girl and boasted of his relationship.Assistant District Attorney Michael P. Hickey said the charges occurred over a period of three years, starting in May 2005 when the girl was 15 years old and that Walters “preyed upon her low esteem on numerous occasions.”Walters had moved in with an immediate relative, her husband and daughter in Peabody, staying in a spare bedroom.The incidents first began when the victim was entering her freshman year that fall. Walters first began improperly touching the teen’s breasts and within days he began having a sexual relationship with the girl.The victim told authorities the sexual misconduct occurred three to four times a week between the two and that she fell “in love” with Walters, Hickey stated she told police.Then in July 2008 when the girl was age 18 the relationship was revealed and Walters was asked to leave the home. The victim went to live with him in New Hampshire where the incidents continued.The illegal sexual acts were disclosed last year to authorities in New Hampshire after Walters began showing co-workers at a construction site where he was working photos of the victim and boasted about the affair.The workers, horrified with his actions, went to police and the investigation began.The victim opted not to testify.She was aware of the sentence to be imposed next week in New Hampshire and that it would be a “global” resolution to this case and the one in New Hampshire, where Walters is charged with felonious sexual assault and incest.Defense lawyer Amanda L. Barker emphasized that four entities worked together to make the plea happen as she asked the judge to adopt the joint recommendation.The sentence will run with a 10-to-20-year prison term Walters is expected to receive next Tuesday, Sept. 14 in Strafford County, N.H., when he pleads guilty to similar charges involving the same victim.Whitehead noted from the bench before passing down the punishment that it was an “appropriate sentence.”Walters has been free on his own personal recognizance with conditions. He will report Tuesday to New Hampshire to confess to the charges there.
