SAUGUS – Residents and businesses can expect traffic delays as early as next month while the state continues repair work on the Belden Bly Bridge, despite the fact it’s slated for demolition within the next year few years.The Massachusetts Highway Department is planning to construct a new bridge on the Route 107 Saugus/Lynn line, but first it must construct a temporary bridge.Klark Jessen of the Executive Office of Transportation said delays to the start of the temporary bridge are causing new headaches. He said at best a temporary bridge would not be operational inside three years, but the Belden Bly Bridge can’t wait that long.”There are enough structural issues with the current bridge such that the District 4 office actually already began some repairs,” Jessen said.Beams, girders, mechanical and electrical repairs are expected to cost approximately $2.2 million and take 10 months to repair. Five of those months will include a road closure.Jessen said with the summer season winding down, some of the larger repairs that will require the bridge to be shut down are slated to begin.Detours will be set up to accommodate drivers using Ballard, Boston and Summer streets and Lincoln Avenue. Jessen said there would also be a temporary dock down river on the ocean side for the lobstermen and commercial fishermen who continue to use the river into the winter months.Rep. Mark Falzone (D-Saugus) called the entire situation an unfortunate waste of money and put the blame squarely on former Gov. Mitt Romney.Falzone said that because Romney’s administration dragged its feet on starting the project, the state has no choice now but to do the interim repairs.”Clearly this illustrates why there shouldn’t be delays with any repairs,” he said. “Not just for this project, but in general when you delay any repair it only leads to cost escalations.”Jessen said the Highway Department has made every effort to keep residents and businessmen in the loop in regards to the bridge, but at least one businessman is feeling decidedly uninformed.Joe Russo of Russo’s Automatic Transmission Inc., at 1069A Western Ave. in Lynn said he is “really fired up” because he feels the state has not included area businesses in their bridge plans. At the same time he believes the state is bending over backwards for the lobstermen.Russo said while the highway department has met more than once with commercial fishermen, it has yet to reach out to recreational boaters or business owners.”There has been no consideration for the businesses at this end of town,” he said. “I was here the last time this happened in the late ’70s. I know when this road is closed it’s a ghost town.”Russo said if he has to endure the predicted five-month detour it would all but kill his off-the-street business during the very time of year that his business typically peaks – winter. He said he’s gone so far at to call around about the possibility of relocating his business at least while the bridge is closed for temporary repairs.Jessen, however, said he is working to get the word out to everyone that will be impacted by the work. To that end, there is a meeting scheduled for Sept. 18 at the Saugus Town Hall at 7 p.m. where Jessen said Russo and other business owners should be able to find answers to their questions and concerns.
