SAUGUS – Saugus Library members may see a sharp reduction in services this year, including reduced hours and the loss of programs, if its budget is cut as recommended in the town’s 2013 budget, according to Library Director Diane Wallace.The Board of Selectmen voted to recommend a $77.6 million budget Monday night, which is down from 2012’s $79 million budget.The new budget would cut money for the library from $507,000 to $370,000. However, a second budget recommended by Town Manager Scott Crabtree includes a total of $400,000 in arbitration awards for the police and fire departments, and an additional $100,000 in cuts to the library.Wallace said either budget could affect state aid for the library.”Three-seventy is not ideal,” said Wallace. “It does not guarantee certification. We would have to comply with the minimum number of hours and a reduced award if we got an award at all. We get awarded money to go along with certification. If you’re 100 percent certified you get 100 percent of the money owed to you.”Last year the library received $22,000 from the state, but cutting the budget could reduce the number of hours the library can stay open which, in turn, would affect the award money, said Wallace.”If you’re open 54 hours instead of 59 they would reduce aid by 15 percent,” said Wallace. “If you’re only open 47 hours, which is the bare minimum, you would get 75 percent.”According to Wallace, certification means the library can participate in the North of Boston Library Exchange network, which allows users to select books from other libraries in the commonwealth or have their library card honored at other libraries.”Basically we would be limited to what’s in the building and that’s it,” said Wallace. “The beauty of the network is that Saugus residents have access to millions of items that we have not actually purchased our selves. It’s a win-win when you’re involved in the network.”If the library’s budget is reduced to $370,000, Wallace said she could apply for waiver if the library still meets other requirements. However, if the budget is cut to $270,000, Wallace said she “can’t even imagine” what would happen.”That would be horrible,” said Wallace. “I would say over my dead body. It wouldn’t be pretty. That’s essentially half of what we’re operating on and it’s been very difficult. We’re short-staffed as it is. Attendance at every program has been going up all the time. We’re just rebuilding the collection, we have a lot of new books. It would be a shame if people don’t have access to it. I can’t even hazard a guess at how many hours or staff would be cut. It would be a lot.”Other departments that will see cuts include the School Department, which could either be level-funded at $25.7 million or cut further to $25.5 million after the School Committee voted on a $27.41 million budget in January, and the Youth and Recreation Department, which could be eliminated all together if the arbitration award is passed.The budget passed on Monday cuts that department by close to $60,000, leaving its total budget at $65,831. If the arbitration award is passed for police and fire, the Youth and Recreation Dept. will be completely eliminated.Town Moderator Bob Long said that while the Town Manager is legally required to present a budget that includes the police and fire arbitration, it’s up to Town Meeting to approve it.”The Town Manager has to put an article on the warrant that would support the arbitration settlement,” said Long. “He and the unions agreed to it and that’s it. However, nobody can compel Town Meeting to fund it. If it doesn’t pass, the negotiation process starts over. I think the Town Meeting members are going to listen to both sides and see what is the best situation for the town of Saugus and its residents.”Matt Tempesta can be reached at [email protected].
