SAUGUS – The Saugus Board of Selectmen awarded a liquor license to Joseph Pace, owner of J. Pace & Son on Main Street, for a new restaurant and function hall called Rosaria?s located above the existing Italian market.Attorney Richard Magnan presented the floor plan of the new 11,000 square-foot, 232-seat restaurant, which includes a 46-seat bar area and a 14-seat private dining room.Magnan said it will cost around $400,000 to build out the second floor with a completion date of Dec. 1. He also projected annual revenue of $4 million with $63,000 per year in taxes for the town plus an additional 50 jobs.?This is going to be a specialty restaurant, a higher-end restaurant,” said Magnan. “A type of restaurant not present in the town. Joe?s been in business here for 14 years. His record speaks for himself.”Seven people also spoke in support of Pace.?I have to say I?ve known Joe Pace for 14 years and I found him a man of his word,” said Saugus resident Bob Hoffman. “What he says he will do and I support him fully.”Two other restaurants also vied for the open license, which was originally owned by Pamela Avedisian before the board canceled it for non-use last year.Representatives from Carmaleno?s Pushcart Restaurant at 331 Main St. and Pearl St. Cafe made their cases to the board, but the vote was unanimous for Pace.?Joe Pace invested a lot of money into that property and he?s there 24-7,” said selectmen Chairman Michael Serino.In other business the board issued a valuable/used goods license to Belden Jewelers in the Square One Mall to trade diamonds.The board also voted to hold a public hearing in the future to discuss obtaining more liquor licenses from the state.Matt Tempesta can be reached at [email protected].
