• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Purchase photos
  • My Account
  • Subscribe
  • Log In
Itemlive

Itemlive

North Shore news powered by The Daily Item

  • News
  • Sports
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Police/Fire
  • Government
  • Obituaries
  • Archives
  • E-Edition
  • Help
This article was published 13 year(s) and 4 month(s) ago

Saugus board debates removing bridge

Matt Tempesta

July 25, 2012 by Matt Tempesta

SAUGUS – The Saugus Board of Selectmen discussed the possibility of removing the Elm Street bridge Tuesday night to help alleviate flooding problems in the area.Paul Ross, Vice President of CDM Smith, said the town has applied for a $1 million grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency for the project, but won’t hear back until the fall. He said about 30 homes are affected around Elm Street.”You have to solve the flooding problem in the area,” said Ross. “The bridge is a restriction, it’s like going from a 48-inch pipe to a 40-inch pipe. The elimination of the bridge will alleviate the storm water flooding significantly, not the waste water flooding.”Another option would be to build a bigger bridge, but Ross said that could cost as much as $3 million and would not qualify for a grant.Selectman Debra Panetta lives in the area and said she has seen first hand how bad the flooding can be during major storms.”I live down there,” said Panetta. “That whole area there ? People who live there are always taking their stuff out after a storm. I want to take care of the people if they’re having flooding in their homes.”In other business, the board voted to submit an application for a new pump station in the same area that would help alleviate sewage backups into people’s homes, which is a separate issue from the storm flooding.The pumping station would be paid for with a 2 percent loan from the state and cost close to $1 million.Ross said houses on Alvah and Innis streets off of Elm Street are the most affected by sewage backups.”The only way to really solve that problem is to isolate those homes from the interceptor and that’s with a pumping station,” said Ross. “It would be a separate system all together.”Ross also updated the board on the town’s 10-year inflow and infiltration elimination program, which upgrades the town’s sewer system to prevent water from seeping into it.Ross said five million gallons of I & I have been removed so far out of the 11 million gallons required by the Department of Environmental Protection. Ross also noted the town has spent $13.1 million to date, which is about 25 percent lower than anticipated.Matt Tempesta can be reached at [email protected].

  • Matt Tempesta
    Matt Tempesta

    View all posts

Related posts:

No related posts.

Primary Sidebar

Advertisement

Sponsored Content

Financial advice for U.S. Citizens in Spain

Safe, Supervised, and Grounded in Care: How Lumin Health Delivers Ketamine Therapy Responsibly

Revenge Saving: Taking Back Control of Your Finances – with a Little Help from Beverly Credit Union

Advertisement

Upcoming Events

38 SPECIAL

December 13, 2025
Lynn Auditorium

4th Annual LCTV & CCoL Photos with Santa & Toy Drive

December 11, 2025
181 Union Street, Lynn, MA, United States, Massachusetts 01901

98°

December 5, 2025
Lynn Auditorium

A Celtic Christmas Concert: Dashing Through the Snow

December 6, 2025
590 Washington St, Lynn, MA, United States, Massachusetts 01901

Footer

About Us

  • About Us
  • Editorial Practices
  • Advertising and Sponsored Content

Reader Services

  • Subscribe
  • Manage Your Subscription
  • Activate Subscriber Account
  • Submit an Obituary
  • Submit a Classified Ad
  • Daily Item Photo Store
  • Submit A Tip
  • Contact
  • Terms and Conditions

Essex Media Group Publications

  • La Voz
  • Lynnfield Weekly News
  • Marblehead Weekly News
  • Peabody Weekly News
  • 01907 The Magazine
  • 01940 The Magazine
  • 01945 The Magazine
  • North Shore Golf Magazine

© 2025 Essex Media Group