SAUGUS – The Saugus School Committee unanimously approved Pola Andrews as the new Executive Director of Finance and Operations at its meeting Thursday night after a recommendation by Superintendent Richard Langlois.Andrews will replace Sam Rippin, who will be leaving Aug. 17 for a job in the Billerica School District after three years in Saugus.?I believe Ms. Andrews will follow in (Rippin?s) footsteps and keep us moving in the right direction,” said Langlois. “I think it could be the beginning of a long-term relationship.”Andrews, a Saugus resident, was previously the School Business Administrator in the Hamilton-Wenham Regional School District.Thursday also marked Rippin?s last School Committee meeting, and Langlois said he helped manage the budget during extremely difficult times and helped keep the integrity of the schools intact.?I want the public to know that he had his hand in everything and was always trying to improve things for the kids in the system,” said Langlois. “Everything was put in the right direction and for that I?m thankful.”Langlois also presented job descriptions for three curriculum supervisors, one each for humanities, math and technology, and art and science. The committee voted 4-0 to approve these positions on July 5 and Langlois said they will be filled by existing staff in the district.Despite the previous unanimous vote, School Committee member Arthur Grabowski said he would not support it.?I don?t think the budget can afford it and it creates a level of bureaucracy,” said Grabowski. “It?s a decrease in teaching. If you?re not teaching class it?s a decrease in teaching. I?m not supporting it.”Langlois, however, stressed that there would be no increase in full-time employees.?I?m just taking what I have and moving it around,” said Langlois. “I don?t want anyone to think I?m creating a new tier of anything. That?s a false representation.”School Committee Vice Chairman Corinne Riley said she couldn?t understand why Grabowski was making it an issue after the committee had already voted on it.?I?m really disappointed,” said Riley.To which Grabowski replied: “You can be disappointed. I?m not supporting it.”In other business, Langlois said the Oaklandvale Elementary School qualified for the mandated breakfast program once again after 40 percent of lunches served for the last two years were free and reduced price.The committee also voted unanimously to accept the changes recommended by the athletic subcommittee earlier this week and gave its support to high school Principal Joe Diorio and Athletic Director Mike Nelson to explore the possibility of switching from the Northeast Conference to the Cape Ann League.?There?s a lot to it,” said Nelson. “It would be a huge change.”Matt Tempesta can be reached at [email protected].
