SAUGUS – A third positive test for West Nile Virus-carrying mosquitoes has prompted another round of targeted spraying in Saugus, according to Public Health Director Frank Giacalone.Giacalone said the positive test was found over the weekend near Riverside Cemetery, which is the same area as the previous positive tests at the end of July.?I got the call Tuesday because we were off Monday and (Wednesday night) we did some targeted spraying,” said Giacalone. “In response the Board of Health is recommending caution when outdoors. We?re not right out banning outdoor activities at this point, but hopefully the next round of results will come in negative.”Giacalone said new results are expected this afternoon.Targeted spraying was done in the cemetery area, around Central Street and areas around upper Main Street near Wakefield, said Giacalone.As a result of the recent positive test, Giacalone said tonight?s high school football game was rescheduled from 7 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Stackpole Field to “avoid the peak time when mosquitoes are out.”?That?s based on our recommendation to take caution,” said Giacalone.Last week the Massachusetts Department of Public Health raised the threat level for West Nile Virus in Saugus to “high.” On Thursday, Giacalone said the Board of Health won?t ban outdoor activities unless the level is raised again.?That?s the critical level, but we?re not at that level right now,” said Giacalone.The threat level takes into account the amount of and location of positive tests a town has had along with the town?s proximity to other communities and positive human cases, said Giacalone.?I don?t know of any human cases than four in Cambridge so that?s not a neighboring community to us,” said Giacalone. “But because Melrose, Medford, Revere and Lynn all had positive mosquitoes, they raised us to a high level. It?s determined by the state.”Giacalone said he “feels good” knowing the positive test was found in the same area as the last, noting that numbers have been low in each test pool.Giacalone said two mosquitoes were found to be carrying the virus in the most recent test.Despite this, Giacalone said the Board of Health is recommending people wear insect repellent and long-sleeves, and try to avoid outdoor activities at least until the first frost.More information about the West Nile Virus can be found on the town website at saugus-ma.gov.Matt Tempesta can be reached at [email protected].
