SAUGUS – The Saugus Chamber of Commerce is without an executive director after Sean Grant stepped down late last week.?He no longer has an association with the Chamber,” said attorney Richard Magnan, the chairman of the Chamber?s executive committee.Magnan declined to comment on what the circumstances were surrounding Grant?s exit.?I?m sure we?ll be able to move forward,” he said.Magnan also declined to comment on an incident Monday morning when police were called to the Marleah E. Graves building on Essex Street.According to the Saugus Police log, officers were dispatched there for a “party who may possibly create a problem.”Officers reported no problem at the time, but Grant was issued a trespass notice from the MEG Building and from Magnan?s office on Central Street.On Tuesday, Grant had no comment on the incident or on his departure from the Chamber, but said the Chamber has been successful as of late.?Founders Day was a huge success,” Grant said. “We had 11 members there that were not there before, and that was directly because of the Chamber getting the word out. We gave 150 bags away at Founders Day. Clearly the Chamber has made a really positive impact and I think our members, totaling 135, were happy with the direction the Chamber was going in.”Peter Rossetti, a member of the Chamber?s Board of Directors, said he thinks the situation is “unfortunate.”?The Chamber is a great organization and there shouldn?t be any issues between members of the Chamber,” Rossetti said. “I think (Grant) tried very hard and I think he had some good ideas. It?s just trying to push those ideas to a different level and unfortunately some of the things he was trying to do were kind of far-reaching, and maybe the Chamber isn?t quite ready for those at this point.”Rossetti said he was “surprised” at how things ended.?I didn?t think it would be as difficult as it was,” Rossetti said.Town Counsel and local attorney John Vasapolli, however, said he wasn?t surprised.?I haven?t officially heard from the members of the executive committee,” said Vasapolli, a member of the Chamber Board of Directors. “I?m sure they?ll give us reasons for the action they took. I know they?ve had concerns and issues. I don?t think it was something that just happened overnight. This was a matter that was handled by the executive committee and you have very reputable people on that committee. I?m sure if they had reasons they were legitimate reasons.”Matt Tempesta can be reached at [email protected].
