SAUGUS – The Saugus Conservation Commission heard a new proposal Wednesday from the Department of Conservation and Recreation to remove sand from the old I-95 roadbed along Route 107.Rachel Burckardt, a consultant working with the DCR, presented an updated proposal, which seeks to remove 350,000 cubic yards of sand from the roadbed to restore Winthrop Beach.The new plan would take a 70-foot portion of the roadbed on the Route 107 side and bring it from 30 feet down to ground level.According to Burckardt, the top of the roadbed is 100-feet wide and the proposal would leave about 30 feet remaining at about 23-feet high on the residential side.”That allows the side facing the community to remain as it is,” said Burckardt.The original plan presented earlier in the month took the entire roadbed down from 23 feet to five feet. Burckardt said the roadbed would remain solid and unbroken for its entire length.”The embankment does provide visual and sound mitigation for trucks,” said Burckardt. “By keeping that part of the embankment it keeps the visual buffer and the sound buffer.”Burckardt said the new plan also added some restoration to the salt marsh, which would be vegetated with “typical salt marsh plants.”Conservation Commissioner Frank McKinnon acknowledged the proposal is “getting better,” however, Precinct 10 Town Meeting member Peter Manoogian said the presentation only raised “more questions and tangents.””We’re the ones impacted, (Winthrop) is benefiting,” said Manoogian. “These people are concerned that if this isn’t done right, the potential for more flooding ? is going to be worse.”Manoogian also showed photos on his phone of all the trees in the area that would be removed and said neighbors in the area are “concerned about their properties.””Maybe you can restore this so the quality of life for these people can be improved, but what I’m hearing is, ‘Extraction in Saugus’ and ‘Restoration in Winthrop,'” said Manoogian. “There’s no plan here. There’s no vision. It’s all about extraction.”Saugus resident Fae Saulenus said her biggest concern is rising sea levels from global warming, which she said would flood the area regardless.”If I had to choose between looking at the smokestack ? or snorkeling, I’d rather (look at the smokestack),” said Saulenus.The Conservation Commission will meet again on Oct. 10 to further discuss the project.Matt Tempesta can be reached at [email protected].
