SAUGUS – Saugus could see a big jump in its education funding after Gov. Deval Patrick filed his 2014 budget recommendation Wednesday.According to State Rep. Kathi Reinstein (D-Revere), part of the $34.8 billion budget includes $6 million for Saugus in Ch. 70 education funding. Saugus received a little over $4 million this year.However, in a meeting with selectmen and State Sen. Thomas McGee (D-Lynn) and State Rep. Donald Wong (R-Saugus) Wednesday night, Reinstein said there?s still a lot of work to be done before the budget passes.?We still have to figure out what?s going on with this budget,” she said. “You have to look at all of the things that are being proposed. Ch. 70 goes from $4 million to $6 million under the governor?s proposal, but that?s raising a lot of revenue. The money comes from somewhere, so we have to look at what?s going to be the will of House members and Senate members, and what?s going to be vetoed.”McGee said it?s too premature to say what the final budget will look like, but noted the delegation did “a pretty good job trying to raise up local aid” last year.?It?s really a first step in a several-month process,” said McGee.Selectmen also raised concerns about the potential for a casino at nearby Suffolk Downs. Selectmen Chairman Michael Serino wanted to know how much money Saugus could see in aid from the state while selectman Stephen Horlick had concerns about businesses being hurt.?The main thing we?re concerned about is we have a lot of restaurants that are busy Friday and Saturday nights?” said Horlick. “We?re worried about having businesses dry up over time.”Reinstein said the bill that was passed last year allows impacted communities to receive money from the state, but noted it?s still early in the process.?The law states that any community that can show need for impact can apply for the fund,” said Reinstein. “It?s directly applied with the commission. I don?t think we?re at that level yet.”McGee and Wong urged the town to reach out to anyone involved in the casino process, including bidders, city officials and the gaming commission.Selectman Debra Panetta asked about the current proposal to lift a nearly 25-year-old moratorium on waste incineration, to which Reinstein said she looks to the town for how to proceed.?We look to you guys with that obviously and the Board of Health is great in this community as is the Saugus River Watershed Council,” said Reinstein.Selectmen and the delegation plan to tour Wheelabrator sometime in the spring.Matt Tempesta can be reached at [email protected].
