SAUGUS – Residents in East Saugus are calling on U.S. Rep. John Tierney to help stop a plan to remove sand from the old I-95 roadbed.?There has to be a way to look at this from the federal level, so we?re asking Congressman Tierney to get involved,” said Town Meeting member Peter Manoogian. “I?ve got a call in to Congressman Tierney, and I?m waiting for them to get back to me.”A Facebook page dedicated to saving the roadbed is also calling on residents to contact Tierney.The Department of Conservation and Recreation went before the Conservation Commission once again Wednesday night to discuss the project. The meeting became contentious at times as about 40 residents attended to voice their opposition to the project.The DCR is planning to take 350,000 cubic yards of sand from the Eastern Avenue side of the roadbed to restore Winthrop Beach. However, residents say the roadbed has become a part of the neighborhood and is used by residents and wildlife.One issue that came up at the meeting was ownership of the property.A letter from Joseph Orfant of the Bureau of Planning and Resource Protection states the land is under the care and control of the commonwealth, however, Selectmen Chairman Michael Serino said town attorney Ira Zaleznik will look at the care and control agreement to see what standing the town has.?Does the town own it or does the state own it?” asked Serino. “That?s the question most of the neighborhood wants to find out. If not, we?ll just try to get the best deal we can.”The Conservation Commission continued Wednesday night?s hearing to next month.Rachel Burckardt, a consultant working with the DCR, said Wednesday the current project is a backup plan after a previous proposal to dredge sand from eight miles in the Atlantic Ocean was blocked for environmental reasons.On Thursday, Manoogian said that plan is the best option for everybody.?When you think of everything going on with the deficit and funding and all that, we?re spending hundreds of thousands of dollars more sending trucks over roads ?” he said. “You wouldn?t need trucks with the offshore option. It makes abundant sense financially, environmentally and it would be a better result for Winthrop.”Manoogian also said residents of East Saugus are skeptical of the project and a proposed marsh restoration because of a “rich history of broken promises” in the neighborhood.?Particularly on environmental issues with RESCO or the marsh or I-95,” he said. “There?s a long history and it?s a part of the culture down here. People want assurances. If at the end of the day, if the town has no standing and the congressman can?t help, then I suppose the Conservation Commission is going to do the best they can for the residents in the area.”Kathryn Prael, a spokesperson for Tierney, said his office has heard from one resident so far as of Thursday and the staff is exploring what can be done.State Rep. Donald Wong, R-Saugus, said he?s looking into the issue and has been talking to the DCR, but declined to comment further.Matt Tempesta can be reached at [email protected].
