SAUGUS – Selectmen Vice Chairman Steve Castinetti said he was “disgusted” with last week?s selectmen?s meeting, saying he was “ambushed” when statements were read aloud accusing him of looking for names of job applicants in Town Hall.?I didn?t know that was coming up,” said Castinetti. “I had no idea. But apparently everybody else did. Mike Serino and I talked about putting this behind us before the meeting, then next thing you know I get blind-sided at the end. I think it was absolutely unacceptable and I?m not happy about it.”Town Counsel John Vasapolli read statements from three town employees Tuesday, who said Castinetti asked for applications and resumes for open town positions and asked if “certain town citizens” applied for any of the jobs.A letter from Town Manager Scott Crabtree from March 12 also made the same claims and accused Castinetti of “clearly” exceeding his authority as a selectman.The statements also say Castinetti said he could keep a secret because he had top secret security clearance with the Navy.?I talked to the girls in HR, and I think it?s a shame that they had to bring their names out because that was the concern,” said Castinetti. “They didn?t want their names mentioned so I said, ?Look, I held a top secret clearance for 40 years, if you don?t want your names mentioned you can take it to the grave that I will not mention your names.? That?s how that came up, but they want to twist everything to make it sound like I was doing something devious.”Castinetti said his “obligation” and “authority” as a selectman is to “assess the performance of the Town Manager.”?That?s what I was trying to do,” said Castinetti. “I could care less who was applying for the job. People are saying I?m trying to get an advantage for my people. I don?t have any people applying for these jobs.”Castinetti said Friday he?s not sure whether the issue is over or not.?Your guess is as good as mine,” he said. “You saw the show Tuesday night ? I had a lot of calls that night and the next day from people who were upset that I didn?t defend myself. I didn?t think it was the place or the time to do it and when the time comes I will.”Crabtree declined to comment Friday, but Selectman Stephen Horlick said he doesn?t think it will be an issue anymore.?It?s like I said before, we don?t have the right to go down there and ask for this information,” he said. “You have to have some confidence in the manager ? this all takes time, you?re not going to hire people in two or three weeks.”Horlick said he didn?t know Vasapolli was going to read the statements during the meeting.?I didn?t know those reports were going to be public,” he said. “I thought we were just going to discuss the letter and just have Scott explain to him that this should not be done.”Castinetti said he has “plenty of reasons” why he doesn?t support a contract extension for Crabtree, but noted “he will be happy to let it out when he?s ready.”?I?ve been criticized over and over again because I never said why I wouldn?t support him,” said Castinetti. “Every time this board calls an executive session meeting to discuss it, I can?t talk about it ? I thought it was pretty shabby and a lousy way to do business. You get blind-sided by the manager, and then he wants me to extend his contract.”Selectmen Chairman Michael Serino said, “It?s a dead issue as far as I?m concerned.” He declined to comment further.Matt Tempesta can be reached at [email protected].
