LYNN – Former Saugus Community Television host Michael Downing will receive 11 months of probation after pleading guilty to posting a former selectman’s arrest record on Facebook.”I am totally satisfied with the decision from the judge,” former Saugus Selectman Stephen Horlick said Tuesday afternoon. Horlick said the judge asked Downing if he would like his criminal offender record information, or CORI, report posted on social media and if he would be upset if somebody did the same to him.”Mr. Downing agreed with the judge that he would be in the same position as I if someone did it to him,” Horlick said.Downing, 50, formerly of Saugus, kept a Facebook page entitled “No More Horlick” where Downing posted Horlick’s CORI report in August 2013.The CORI report noted Horlick – a selectman in Saugus at the time but who was not re-elected in November after approximately a decade in office – had been charged with assault and battery several times, but the charges were dismissed in each case.Downing admitted to police that he had posted the CORI report and subsequently took it down. But the defendant re-posted the report Oct. 1 along with the statement, “I’m already dirty from this mess so I might as well put it back up.”Downing pleaded not guilty in November to two counts of unlawfully disseminating a CORI and use of a CORI to harass a person. A Lynn District Court judge ordered Downing to stop posting about Horlick on social media.Downing changed that plea Monday. He admitted to sufficient facts for a finding of guilty on the first count of unlawfully disseminating a CORI, and pleaded guilty to the second count of unlawfully disseminating a CORI and the third count of using a CORI to harass a person, according to court records.Defense Attorney Peter Rossetti requested all charges be continued without a finding if Downing successfully completed a year’s probation. Recommended conditions of probation included that Downing not harass Horlick on social media, have no contact with Horlick and that Downing serve the probation in California, where he is currently employed.Essex Assistant District Attorney Mark Byron requested the first count be continued without a finding for a year and that Downing plead guilty to the second and third counts. Byron recommended additional conditions of probation that Downing not use social media or mention Horlick on social media, pay $500 in court costs and write Horlick a letter of apology.Judge Ellen Flatley accepted the Commonwealth’s requests with the exception that Downing be restricted from all social media.Rossetti said Tuesday he could not comment on the case. Downing’s phone number was out of service.Horlick said he gave a victim statement where he said the incident had caused turmoil in his family and personal life.”It’s nice Mr. Downing wants to go to California and start his life over … and leave his baggage here with me,” Horlick said.But he said he agreed to continue the first count in order to be “compassionate” and spare Downing from having to return to the area for a trial.Horlick said that, upon receipt, he would submit the letter of apology to The Daily Item for publication.
