LYNN – A powerful blizzard pounded the Northeast Sunday, dumping nearly 20 inches of snow in some areas, causing hundreds of flights to be canceled and near whiteout conditions on the roadways.According to the National Weather Service, the monster storm is the result of a low pressure system off the North Carolina coast, which strengthened as it moved northeast. By mid-afternoon Sunday, rapidly deteriorating conditions caused Gov. Deval Patrick to declare a state of emergency as the season’s first snow storm barreled into the state.As a result, an army of 4,000 plows, sanders and salt trucks were deployed state-wide, spreading chemical treatments on highways to prevent icing as the snow fell fast and furiously.In Lynn, a city-wide snow emergency/parking ban was declared at 2 p.m., which is expected to last until the storm has passed and the streets have been cleared of snow and ice.Public Works Commissioner Jay Fink said crews hit the roads before dawn Sunday due to a light snow that had coated the roadways and by 4:30 p.m., Fink was in storm mode. Nearly 250 pieces of both city and privately owned equipment were assembled to battle the storm and by 7 p.m., the plows were out in force.”With school vacation this week, that at least takes one element out of the mix,” he said. “And there will also be people on vacation, so for those trying to get to work (today) there will be less volume out there.”Fink said the department usually waits until there is a 2-inch coating of snow on the roadways before plowing begins, however, due to the severity of the storm, plows were sent out once an inch of snow had fallen. In order for the plows to do their job, Fink said all vehicles had to be off of the roadways and that meant having to tow those lingering in the streets.”By 6 p.m., we towed approximately 100 cars and we expect to tow between 500 and 600 through the course of the storm,” he said.The cost has since risen to $155 to retrieve a car that has been towed. Last year, the price was $120. In addition to that cost, Fink said there is also a chance that cars will be ticketed before they are removed from the streets.”There are plenty of lots in the city to park cars, including the MBTA garage for $4 a day,” he said. “One of the problems is that if we don’t issue tickets, cars will be back on the streets during the next storm.”Aside from Lynn, parking bans also went into affect in Swampscott, Revere, Peabody, Marblehead, Lynnfield, Saugus and Nahant.Since the storm is expected to last into the afternoon hours today with drifting snow and windy conditions, those parking bans are expected to stay in affect.Coastal flooding is also posing a threat, with the potential for severe beach erosion. With high tide on tap for 3 a.m. and 3 p.m. today and continued gusty winds at or above 60 mph, officials say the potential is there for water pooling in the roadways because of constant splash over. The brutally cold whipping winds were also to blame for several power outages in the area.With area schools closed for winter vacation and residents urged to work from home today, the Lynn Public Library announced that it will also be closed today and is set to reopen Tuesday, with hours from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.Because of the massive storm, the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency made themselves at the ready, activating the State Emergency Operations Center in Framingham. Spokesman Peter Judge urged drivers and travelers to get to their destinations early and to stay off the roadways as much as possible once the heavier snow began to fall.In Saugus, Police Lt. Leonard Campanello said town officials gathered together Sunday afternoon to discuss the best plan of attack for the storm.”We’re asking everyone to use common sense, stay home and let emergency crews do their job,” he said. “If you don’t need to be out on the roads, stay off for your own sake.”Revere Police say they had already towed a number of vehicles off city streets by 6 p.m., with many more
