SALEM – With talks drawing to a close on the proposed Lowe’s-Walmart mega-project on the Lynn-Salem line, Lynners once again turned out to voice opposition and to bring attention to the potentially dangerous road conditions it poses with increased traffic.After nearly nine months of long-winded debates, the project is set to be voted on by the Salem Planning Board at a meeting on Jan. 13, with a snow date of Jan. 20. But before that can happen, talks resumed Thursday night regarding the massive project, which is a product of Kennedy Development Group.The plan is to erect a 153,000 square-foot Lowe’s Home Improvement store and a similarly sized Walmart on Highland Avenue, along with a Meineke franchise larger than the existing store, a new city of Salem water storage tank and future facilities for Camp Fire of the North Shore.On Thursday, project officials outlined several improvements suggested for the site in an effort to reduce traffic flow and congestion for area residents. One of the ideas, which was quickly shot down by Lynn residents, is to add a turning lane to alleviate the difficulty of getting in and out of side streets.”I’m not comfortable with that at all because I feel people would be killed because of it,” said Daniel McIntire of the Lynn Traffic Commission. “It’s been called the dead man’s lane and it will also become a speed lane when people use it as a passing lane.”Lynn Mayor Judith Flanagan Kennedy, who lives in the Buchanan-Cooledge Circle neighborhood off Western Avenue, also said the lane addition would potentially pose a traffic nightmare. Having lived in the area for 16 years, Kennedy rattled off a number of car accidents, some fatal, that she said were the result of careless driving on the dangerous stretch of roadway.”I wish the state would send a few people up for a real field study to see how frustrating the area is and drive a mile in our cars,” she said. “To add another lane would legitimize speeding. I don’t know how many more times we can emphasize the increased danger to you.”Kennedy previously questioned a Metropolitan Area Planning Council report that said traffic generated by the project is not anticipated to swell to the point that traffic signals would be required at Bellaire Avenue and Buchanan Circle. On Thursday, Kennedy suggested the addition of an on-demand traffic light to make the area a little safer for Lynn residents.With all of the traffic woes at the site, Jason Plourde, director of transportation planning for engineering firm GPI said the Planning Board is now being asked to consider adding an engineering corridor study as a condition of approval. The cost for that study would be borne by the developer and would go into further detail on how to relieve traffic conditions at the site.Plourde said all of the proposed improvements however hinge on the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, which ultimately has control over Highland Avenue.
