SAUGUS – Former Saugus Town Manager Andrew Bisignani has filed a lawsuit against the town claiming he is owed more than $60,000 in unused vacation and sick time.?In nine years I never took a sick day,” said Bisignani in a phone interview Tuesday. “This whole issue had been discussed with the Board of Selectmen on two different occasions and they agreed to honor the terms of my contract.”In all, Bisignani racked up 124 sick days and 54 vacation days over nine years and, when he retired, he said he and the Board of Selectmen agreed he would be paid for 100 sick days and 40 vacation days. However, Bisignani said he only received one week of vacation time when he retired in January after it was agreed that he would receive eight weeks in his final check.?Upon my retirement, I never received any of the contractual obligations that were due to me,” said Bisignani. “I?m entitled to those benefits as is every other town employee. I was supposed to receive my vacation pay in my last paycheck and I did agree to take my sick leave over a period of two years. But when I inquired why I did not get my vacation pay in my last check, I never received a response.”Bisignani said he inquired with Town Counsel and former temporary manager John Vasapolli twice, but never heard back and noted he was sorry to have to file the lawsuit.?I did not want to make an issue of this,” said Bisignani. “I did not want to do this. I would have been perfectly willing to work out some kind of agreement, but in the absence of any response I was left with no choice. They haven?t communicated with me at all.”Saugus selectman Stephen Horlick said Bisignani has “nobody to blame but himself.”Click to read a portion of the lawsuit.?There was an agreement that was made, but it was subject to being approved through Town Meeting,” said Horlick. “The articles haven?t been submitted yet because ?. based on my opinion and the facts that have been explained to me, of the financial distress that the former Town Manager left us in.”The lawsuit, which was filed by attorney Richard B. Villiotte in Essex Superior Court, states that Villiotte spoke to Town Accountant Joan Regan on Feb. 24 about payments, but she told him only one week could be paid in Bisignani?s final check because “there were insufficient funds in the Town Manager?s account” to pay the full eight weeks due.The suit also states that Bisignani and town officials agreed to defer payment of his sick time to two installations, one on July 1, 2012 and another on July 1, 2013 in order to “lessen the impact” on the town budget.Selectman Steve Castinetti said he was surprised when he heard about the lawsuit Tuesday.?I didn?t even know it,” said Castinetti. “I don?t know what the circumstances are or why they?re not paying him. I recall that was part of the agreement when he left. Whether there were any time constraints put on that I don?t know. Maybe he just didn?t see any way this would get resolved.”While both Bisignani and members of the Board of Selectmen acknowledged there was a verbal agreement, Town Moderator Bob Long said that money has to be appropriated by Town Meeting before it can be paid.?I don?t know why they?re getting into a feud over this,” said Long. “I don?t think there?s money in the budget for it. I don?t think we anticipated anything like this when we approved the budget last spring. Usually those kinds of sums come from Town Meeting.”Long went on to say that it would be best for everyone if the issue could be settled out of court.?Right now, as you know, we probably don?t have any funds available,” said Long. “It would seem instead of everyone fussing and fighting in the courtroom, maybe they should iron something out. The only ones that will gain are the attorneys.”New Town Manager Scott Crabtree said he still has to look over the court documents before commenting.?I?ll have to take a look at it,” said Crabtree. “Obviously I?ve been out of the loop for the last month-and-a-half.”Selectman Debra Pane
