News, Police/Fire

Cigarette determined to be the cause of Lynn house fire

This article was published 2 year(s) and 7 month(s) ago.

LYNN — Two people were treated for minor injuries following a house fire in Lynn Saturday morning, Lynn Fire Captain Joseph Zukas reported. 

According to Zukas, firefighters received a call at 8:02 a.m. alerting them to a fire at a two-family home on Waterhill Street. 

When first responders arrived, they discovered flames had broken out in a bedroom on the building’s second floor. 

Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze within 20 minutes, and the bedroom’s occupants, a man and a woman, were transported to Salem hospital to be treated for minor smoke inhalation.

A firefighter who responded to the scene was also hospitalized with a shoulder injury. His condition is unknown. 

Zukas said the fire was later determined to have been caused by an improperly disposed of cigarette. He emphasized residents should always exercise caution when smoking.

“Luckily this fire didn’t have dire consequences, but smoking is the number one cause of fatal fires in this country,” he said. “Smoke outside if you can and use proper ashtrays.”

The home sustained significant water damage during firefighter efforts and is currently deemed unlivable.

More Stories From Lynn