SAUGUS — The Kowloon returned to the Planning Board Thursday night to hear the peer review presented by Tetra Tech’s Senior Project Manager Steven Bouley.
It was first noted that the traffic review has not been completed yet but will be discussed during the next Board meeting.
“As everyone said, there were a number of comments on this project, including a site plan review, stormwater review… A lot of our comments have been addressed in the first revision of the plan set,” Bouley said.
Bouley started with item number nine, stating that there are two proposed drive-throughs in the project, but he isn’t aware of any approval from the Town.
Board Chair John O’Brien said the restaurant is supposed to go before the Board of Selectmen for approval.
Item 10 focused on the 50-foot setback from the BHR (Business Highway Residential) district.
“The site is not in the BHR district. So that 50-foot setback does not apply. We also received the zoning map that was in effect in 2018, same thing. The BHR district would not apply to this site,” Bouley said.
Item 18 highlighted the different spots on the site that did not have landscape islands, which would require every 15 spaces to have an island.
It was noted that the Board of Selectmen does have the ability to grant a special permit to relieve a site of certain requirements, like this one.
“In item 32, we had just asked the applicant to get written confirmation from the fire department that they have reviewed the plans,” Bouley said.
Items 42 and 43 were conditions related to stormwater.
“They’ll need to acquire the stormwater permit through engineering, DPW, prior to construction,” he said.
Bouley went through a few more smaller items, noting that many of them had already been resolved. The big focus going into the next meeting will be on the traffic review.

